Faith Talk: Changing your focus

Faith Talk: Changing your focus

"As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." Proverbs 23:7
Simple Things Small Joys, Shop 4 Abbie Lane, Highfields Qld
- a little pocket of Heaven on earth!
Sarah Young writes in Jesus Calling: "Before Satan tempted Eve in the Garden of Eden, thankfulness was as natural as breathing. Satan's temptation involved pointing Eve to the one thing that was forbidden her. The garden was filled with luscious, desirable fruits, but Eve focused on the one fruit she couldn't have, rather than being thankful for the many good things freely available. This negative focus darkened her mind, and she succumbed to temptation. When you focus on what you don't have or on situations that displease you, your mind also becomes darkened. You take for granted life, salvation, sunshine, flowers, and countless other gifts from [God]. You look for what is wrong and refuse to enjoy life until that is "fixed." When you approach [God] with thanksgiving, the Light of [His] presence pours into you, transforming you." 

So true! And I so needed to hear this today (God is never a moment too late, but very rarely early). See also "There's Hope", a beautiful, amazing, heart-warming song by Alabaster Box.

Girl With a Satchel

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erica, Use to love your blog but now it's like going to church! Sorry, but if I want religion I don't need to find it on a blog about the magazine industry, but each to their own, I'll just go elsewhere. Thanks for what once was a good blog!!!

frangipani princess said...

In a change of tone from that last anon, like you Erica, that was exactly what I needed to read today!
A lot of situations in my life right now that have been frustrating me and bringing me down because I can't get those illusive things I want, but this has reminded me to be thankful for the things I do have. God brings true happiness, and sometimes I need to remember to turn to him instead of 'the world'.

xo

meg said...

thank you erica! i love your posts on faith - this blog truly reflects you as a person. if life was only about magazines and media what a sad and empty experience it would be! x

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous, I think you need to read the title of Erica's blog again. It says "Daily Commentary on matter of media, feminism and faith". It's not all about magazines, you see. If you want to read solely about the magazine industry - please start watching shows like Park Street.
There is absolutely no need to criticize on a blog that, mind you, is still pretty fantastic.

As for this post - I needed to hear just this as well. I think such reconfirmations are very important and necessary in our fast-paced lives these days. Please don't mind me, but i've written down that quote in your picture and stuck it on my bathroom mirror.
I need to be more thankful and appreciative towards what God has given me so far. And I definitely need to stop seeing the negative in everything.

Thank you for this post. :) xx

Anonymous said...

Hi
I am not a religious person and I have found your posts on faith inspiring and uplifting, you share the most beautiful images and thoughts that make me smile and think.
Thanks for what is still a great blog
Tracy A