Glossy Talk: Sarah Ferguson for US Harper's BAZAAR

Glossy Talk: Sarah Ferguson for US Harper's BAZAAR

When primping oneself for an image overhaul in which you hope to garner the affections of a public whose perceptions of you as a money-hungry, prince-swindling former Duchess of York, Marie Antoinette is not the first figure who comes to mind as a pillar of humility on which to model oneself. 

But here we have Sarah Ferguson, deserving of our compassion – for we all commit wrongs – but dressed in a lavish fashion and posing in an opulent scene that, in all seriousness, just adds to the offense. But fashion, and fashion magazines, can be vulgar, as time and time again it is proved. And people are forgiving (though maybe not the Queen), if we feel that you have been wronged, too.

"The way it came across in the video, it was so horrible, because they cut it and edited it and changed it, chopped it,” says Ferguson to Harper's BAZAAR of the rotten business in which she became embroiled, under the influence of financial debt, while admitting "I'm awake now. I'm aware of my behaviour". Her Prince, Andrew, it seems, came to her rescue. "He’s a great man, and a first-rate father and the bestest friend... I love him. He’s my soulmate. It’s actually what we said in front of God at the altar: We honor and respect each other until death do us part. The only thing is, he has girlfriends and I have boyfriends."

While wistfully watching the royal wedding from afar ("I look at it and think, I was once that bride"), her daughters, Beatrice and Eugenie, became the unwitting but delightfully good-humoured objects of public ridicule, too. "The only thing I know I’ve done 100 percent right is be a good mother," says Ferguson. "I’m proud to say I’m the best mom I know. People say to me, ‘What is your brand identity?’ And I say, ‘I’m a global mother.’"

And with that especially in mind, you've got to love her.

She appears in the June issue of US Harper's BAZAAR under the Britney Spears cover.

Girl With a Satchel

0 comments: