Girl Talk: An indecisive, fearful bunch

Girl Talk: An indecisive, fearful bunch


Sunday magazine columnist Fifi Box reflects the sentiment of many a modern woman: "for someone like me, who suffers acute indecisiveness, more opportunities mean more stress around the 'C' word. I have enough trouble choosing between wedges and fries, so when it comes to decisions that affect the rest of my life, I'm quite comfortable sitting on the fence... Being unsure and fearful of committing to either side, I'm flying the flag for the women who can't decide what they want."

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, and still dip into this territory occasionally (new ankle boots or Salvation Army donation? Oh, the temptation!) before regaining my composure or coming to a mutual agreement on which God (who is not a God of deprivation, I believe) come to a point at which we can mutually agree.

"As a culture we are building a division between our actions and what they say about us as people," observes Mark Sayers in 'Yes, you are a bad person'. "Throughout most of history our action have been an indicator of our character, but today we wish to maintain a pristine character, whilst doing what the heck we want. Such a belief, is deeply linked to the idea of self esteem, the belief that we are all inherently good no matter what we do, that what is important is not moral integrity, but the health of our self esteem... To be wise, to ensure that both our actions and character align, we must start in a place of humility accepting our brokenness, our habit to chose wrong over right...


Then we are in a position to move into relationship with him who is truly good, whose actions speak of his goodness, his justice and his love. Thus the bad news for contemporary culture is that we are our actions, but the good news is that Christ whose actions spoke of his goodness, offers us his grace and his transforming love."

And the transformation, by way of love, continues...

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (2 Timothy: 1-7). Woohoo!

See also:
The Preservation of Self on the Everyday Internet

Girl With a Satchel

1 comments:

Camilla Peffer said...

I can only speak for myself when I say my indecision is not about what is 'right' or 'wrong', but a heck of a lot more to do with FOMO (fear of missing out). Like which university degree will guarantee me a more prosperous future? Or which job should I take? This also applies to more trivial issues, like should I do my groceries in bulk on Friday or do two medium sized shop ups spread out through the week, or should I eat jelly beans for desert or make scones? Typing this up now I feel bit deranged, but more often than not I feel like we're so accustomed to having it all 24/7, so when we're actually forced to choose we just have no idea how to make do with just one choice!