Covers: Anna Gare for Sunday Life magazine

Covers: Anna Gare for Sunday Life magazine
It was a case of double-yes! when I opened up this week's Sun-Herald and found not only the gorgeous Anna Gare, host of Junior MasterChef, on the cover, but also that Nicole Elphick had penned the cover story. Elphick was deputy editor for Total Girl and news editor at Cleo before heading off overseas. I like her work. 

In the three-page cover story, Elphick reveals Gare has an interesting back-story: before being lured to Junior MasterChef (she was also approach to host MasterChef but turned down the opportunity to attend to her family in Perth), and after discovering a childhood passion for cooking, she started a band called the Jam Tarts with her sister and two friends. They toured Australia, New Zealand and Britain for ten years before opting out of the lifestyle to be a mum.

She "accidentally" started a catering company and was offered a backstage role on Ian Parmenter's Consuming Passions after she "whipped up a rustic feast" that impressed him. From there, it was stints on The Best in Australia, Quickies in my Kitchen and Junior MasterChef

"I never really planned [my successes]," she tells Elphick. "I'm driven and I try to do my best, but it's not like I said, 'I want to be on TV.' I've naturally just fallen into it. I follow my passion. If you're doing something that you love, then you usually do it well."

I suspect that's a professional philosophy she shares with Elphick. High fives all 'round!

Girl With a Satchel

1 comments:

Sue Kontic said...

I'm so pleased to hear how highly others regard Nicole Elphick's work, but I'm not surprised. Years ago, as an editorial assistant on My Home magazine (now Modern Home), her talent shone through and we knew she was destined to make her mark in the wider world of publishing.