Girl Talk: Georgie Carroll on tween pressure

Girl Talk: Georgie Carroll on tween pressures

"I was surprised at myself, actually, when I found myself thinking, 'Oh, why can't I be Miley?!', throughout the entire concert. She is absolutely gorgeous, has (and has had) beyond gorgeous boyfriends, a brilliant career... all while being only a year and a half older than me. Some days I feel that my obsession with teen stars and the internet (embarrassed to admit I spend up to nine hours per day on here D:) are not harming me at all, but then other days, like yesterday, all I can think is how unfair it is that I don't look like them, or have their lives and I can feel myself spiraling downwards, and it's not a good thing. I consider myself a pretty mature seventeen-year-old, so if I feel like I don't want to be at one of the concerts, or while watching their tv shows or seeing pictures of them on the internet, how much worse will it be for a tween?"

- Teen Girl with a Satchel Georgie Carroll responds to 'Body image in the new media landscape'.

1 comments:

petal said...

oh dear.. georgie, i'm so remembering what being 17 is like from your words! but you've got to remember that miley cyrus is a celebrity merely because of an accident of birth, and has done very little with her privileged life to help others or warrant her status as a role model for the millions of girls who look up to her.
and please allow me a possibly harsh but well-meaning suggestion that if you didn't spend nine hours a day online you might not as easily fall into unhealthy thought patterns? nourish your soul and spirit elsewhere and then musicians/actors you love may find their rightful place in your life.. take care!