Media Talk: Jessica Halloran, one ballsy sports writer

Media Talk: Jessica Halloran, one ballsy sports writer

"At the start of 2000 I emailed Sports Illustrated and told them I was a top sports journalist (I may have had three published articles in an obscure sports magazine to my name at that stage!). They wrote back and said "can you please profile Lauren Jackson and we'll pay you $US1,200". I was studying and working as a waitress at the time so I nearly fell off my chair in the internet cafe when I got the email. I wrote the article – it was terrible and they had to completely re-write it. Nevertheless, the Jackson article featured in Sports Illustrated's Women Olympic edition... Women are still a minority in the sports media but no one seems to be making my life hard because I am a woman writing sport these days.
- Jessica Halloran, award-winning sports journalist, The Sunday Telegraph c/o Mediaweek

0 comments: