Media Talk: Babies for Birkins (the reality of writing for women's magazines/websites)


I'm on deadline. As I wade through my research and try to come up with a unique thought (who has time for those these days?), I hope you enjoy this clip: it's so true it hurts my tummy! But fear not, fledglings, don't be faint of heart: not all commissions are as convoluted, not all editors content-leeching freeloaders who want you to sell your soul, and some of the more obscure publications pay quite well (though not so much online, as with superupscalesexyhighendyounghipfashionbeautystyleshoppingcelebritygossip.com).

Girl With a Satchel

9 comments:

Alison said...

Another GOLD post Erica.

Jennifer Reid said...

Got a good laugh out of that! Thanks Erica :)

Anonymous said...

god this made me laugh... very hard! love it! so true (sadly!)

x

Anonymous said...

It's funny cause it's true.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps if Park St had some scene we're they commission a freelancer (you know, like they ACTUALLY DO), it would be a more interesting show.
This is horrifying because it's true. The magazines which have treated me best have been custom-published niche magazines who give clear commissions and - shock horror - pay better than the ACP or PAc Pubs ones. AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

love your experiences anonymous that custom publishing pays better. my bread and butter work comes from copywriting for online companies. they pay well, are nice and friendly, and i count everyone i deal with there as a personal friend. no b/s, just smiles and a decent paycheck!

Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT... And, as a print journalist who has been in the business almost as long as the freelancer here, I'd say newspaper editors (particularly Sundays) are as capable of coming up with crazy story ideas.
I was actually once told, during a MAJOR bushfire, to find a victim who had lost their house, had children of primary school age, neighbours that helped them during the evacuation, and owned a dog. Serioursly. The story was pulled because the people we found (who actually fit that description) were deemed too old or too fat (can't remember which).

Anonymous said...

Oh my! This is classic.
Here I am about my send my first pitch through to a hotshot editor. And then you post this. hehe.

So funny.

Scarlett Harris @ The Early Bird Catches the Worm said...

Hilarious!