Short & Sweet - week beginning March 19

Kate Knapp's It's Not Always Black and White, a happy comfort on inevitable grey days
Feeling a little battle-weary, I was treated to the kindness of two strangers this morning: a gentleman who ushered me inside a cafe out of the cold and another who offered up his spare change at the counter when I pulled up short. Isn't that wonderful? Like God's angels sent down to smooth the way, they were, just like the little treasure of a book by Kate Knapp lent to me by a friend (I really must return it soon... parting will be sweet sorrow).

Let's catch up: A bunch of girlfriends and friends-of-friends and new friends and I got together on Saturday, threw our things into an orderly pile, sorted it all onto racks and created a little marketplace for the friendly exchange of goods. For the first time, I walked away with nothing to put in my wardrobe, but I was still blissfully happy. It was such fun to have so many gorgeous girls in the one place, the young (my four-year-old niece ushered the ladies out to their cars under an umbrella to keep them from getting wet) and the old-er (who supplied a bountiful display of brownies and relish – yummo!).
This week's agenda: It's World Poetry Day on March 21, did you know? Also celebrating the birthdays of two very special ladies.
The Word for the Week: "The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
Quote for the Week: "I believe I could have had a good race this afternoon, and I can still take some positives out of the weekend as we have seen our car was confirming our feelings, and is definitely a clear step forward. We can now build on that and start improving further." Michael Schumacher
Dictionary.com word for the week: dowager \DOU-uh-jer\, noun:
1. An elderly woman of stately dignity, especially one of elevated social position.
2. A woman who holds some title or property from her deceased husband, especially the widow of a king, duke, etc.
"By all accounts, Margaret Whitlam was a dowager of considerable esteem, an asset to the Labor party, the Arts world, the sporting field and to her husband. He called her his 'most constant critic'."
Reading: Margaret Whitlam tributes here, there and everywhere.

Girl With a Satchel

0 comments: