Faith: Dominos founder Tom Monaghan is an amazing man

Faith: Dominos founder Tom Monaghan

At the top of his game, Tom Monaghan gave his money away to deal with his pride after reading C.S. Lewis' The Case for Christianity. Growing up poor, his inadequacies were fed by stuff – something I think many of us can relate to, but few of us would dare to take a vow of poverty. Isn't that the way? God will point to your biggest obstacle and say, "Enough of that if you want to be closer to me", before he allows you to fully enjoy your true calling. What does Christ require of his followers?

It takes courage, I think, to make the choice to follow God's leading; to leave what the world values so much behind (particularly if you have worked so very hard to gain it). I know I (still!) stumble even when I know God has my absolute best interests at heart. No mistake that God's law is written on the very hearts of men. So much of our angst, our "issues", are derived from this tug-of-war between soul and the world; between God's spirit and human selfishness; the desire to wrestle control and the need to absolve it all through Christ. The conflict can only be solved by one thing: complete and utter devotion. Obedience. No easy task.

No wonder David said, "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water." (Psalm 63:1). He knew the true source of life and fulfillment.

Girl With a Satchel

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interestingly a lot of the Domino's staff training reads like it has been extracted from the Beatitudes in Matthew 5. Makes sense given that Tom Monaghan must have been a strong company guiding force for a long time. (I'm an Ex-Domino's franchisee and thoroughly enjoyed my time there).