The Christmas Day Outfit rests somewhere between the glam-but-demure Office Party Dress and look-at-me New Year's Eve Ensemble on the sartorial event calendar, requiring a certain casual elegance that will take you from breakfast to church (in my case), lunch and drinkie time with a surfeit of fabric around one's stomach to allow for a gradual expansion without nanna questioning your state of middle-area endowment ("Are you pregnant, dear?").
I spotted my ideal Christmas Day outfit on The Sartorialist a little while ago: a girl wearing a bright red skirt, grey marle tee and brilliant purple heels (perhaps more befitting of New Year's than a day traipsing between locations). Using this image as a starting off point, I did a bit of virtual shopping at The Dreamery. Herewith my wish list!
1. Ellery Hannah Silk Blazer, $740. We all know the light-coloured blazer is a summer staple. The glossies tell us so. This soft, creamy "luxe-louche" number has beautiful folds of crepe and silk trimming. Perfect for evening drinkies outdoors. Dreamy!
2. Harvey Harlequin Fitted Longline Singlet, $70. Festively bright and made in Australia with a generous amount of body coverage.
3. Megan Park Beaded Leaf Fringed Scarf, $189. How sophisticated, to wear a scarf.
4. Lee Mathews Sheer Jersey Reversible Skirt in Charcoal, $195. This swishy, wash-and-wear skirt turns inside out, so you can wear the more muted charcoal colour during the day and flip it over to reveal a silky silver finish for night (also handy in the case of festive food/drink spillages).
5. Mrs. Press candle, $55. For chic Christmas table settings or gifting to mums/aunts. It's made of natural soy wax and comes in three scents. Of course, not wearable or edible, but looks pretty.
6. Rachael Ruddick Domino Watersnake Wide Cuff, $155. I love a good chunky cuff. They make girlie outfits look a bit fierce.
7. Lee Mathews Natural Rope Handle Canvas Bag, $125. A sturdy carry-all bag with a sturdy handle for stashing all my presents! Joking.
8. Bloch Elba Charina Sandals, $189. I love a sandal with a difference. Must remember the DIY pedicure.
And also... a couple of dreamy gift ideas for added inspiration: Encyclopedia of the Exquisite by Jessica Kerwin Jenkins (RRP$55.95 or $33.40 @ Booktopia) and a 12-month subscription to The Australian Women's Weekly ($69.95), a GWAS must-read.
All this excitement is, of course, brought to you by The Dreamery, whose Friday Fashion Fix provides all the weekend style inspiration you need (sign up for the newsletter here or "like" the Facebook page).
Every Friday the site gives away one item from the Fashion Fix mix – and this week, it will be one of the eight items from the above GWAS Wish List (how flattering). You can also win a $1000 gift voucher for your troubles. Don't delay jumping on this sartorial sleigh; Christmas Day is but 27 sleeps away!
Art by Sophie
Girl With a Satchel