Thinkings: The resilience of the Irish

Thinkings: The resilience of the Irish

"It started getting weird here, I would say, by 2002; it started getting really weird in terms of this ideology that people – I'm in my 30s, then I would have been in my 20s – had to buy, had to get on the property ladder at any cost, no matter what sacrifices had to be made, people my age had to buy. And I utterly believed this, because that's how ideology works...Thanks be to God I'm a literary novelist and no one in a bank will do business with a literary novelist, so I'm very grateful now because the flipside of that is that most of my generation did buy and now they're in horrible six-figure negative equity. It was something that turned very sour. If you were the punter on the street, it felt like a very elaborate hoax had been played on you... It's not a happy story, really. There's a wreckage out there. But, having said that, everyone's pregnant, everyone's having children, so there is a silver lining to it..."  
 - Claire Kilroy, author of The Devil I Know, a satire on Ireland's property boom and bust set in 2016, talking to RN Drive, August 17, 2012.

0 comments: